Moving in Florida? Avoid Moving-Related Scams as the Sunshine State’s Scorching Real Estate Market Soars
“A few bad apples can spoil the bunch.” While just a common cliché to some, for the best moving companies in Florida, it can be frustrating when a few bad actors affect the most reputable and distinguished players in the industry. We are 100% confident you won’t find any of that nonsense at A Mother’s Touch Movers, a family-owned moving company in Melbourne, FL.
According to recent reports, the sale of single-family homes in Florida surged by 22.5% in 2020, far ahead of the nationwide average increase of 5.6%. Subsequently, demand for moving companies in Brevard County and throughout the state is skyrocketing. When demand is soaring and supplies are limited (IE: hurricane-related price gouging in the fuel and home repair markets), unscrupulous actions may occur. When seeking out the best moving companies in Florida, it is important to ask the right questions, get the right answers, vet, and verify.
At A Mother’s Touch Movers, we applaud the May 2021 consumer alert announcement by Florida state leadership to crackdown on less than reputable moving companies. We highly recommend that you check out some of these critical red flags when planning to move your family and your life’s most valuable possessions to your new home.
Common Moving Scams:
- Refusal to provide written estimates. Never sign any blank or incomplete documents or contracts. Obtain moving estimates and quotes from the company in writing – and make sure the estimates are binding.
- Fly-by-night companies. The moving industry is competitive and quality companies know they must be licensed, bonded, insured, and state registered. The best moving companies in Florida have employees who are drug tested, thoroughly background checked, and extensively trained. Verify the company has a website, physical location, and that all communication such as email and phone indicate the company’s name. Avoid doing business with generic individuals who do not include the company name in the phone greetings and email addresses.
- Large upfront cash deposits or cash only payments. Hiring one of Florida’s best movers is not equivalent to throwing some cash to your well- meaning uncle and his side-hustling buddies. You should expect to pay a reasonable fee for a moving company because of their professionalism and proven experience in packing, transporting, unloading, and unpacking your personal treasures.
- Bait and switch from estimate to final cost. Another fraudulent scheme is an enticingly low estimate to secure your business in a highly competitive real estate market like Florida’s. Then suddenly, an about-face. On moving day, the rate increases significantly upon arrival to your home. At this point, the company knows you are prepared, stressed or anxious, and on a timeline to vacate. If they threaten to not complete the job unless the difference is paid upfront, report them.
- Items held hostage. Common moving scams involve shady movers packing up and transporting your household goods and then refusing to release or unload them until you pay an additional fee that was not originally discussed. Whether you are moving in Florida residentially or commercially and whether your move is complicated or simple, your move is not free nor are your items for ransom. Get the accurate price up front in writing.
- “Professional” movers showing up in a rental truck or “official” employees without logos on their attire. Always ask whether the moving company subcontracts any of its equipment or services like trucks, packing, loading, transporting, unpacking, etc. or if the workers are official employees, meeting the standards previously mentioned.
- Referrals or third-party endorsements. In Florida’s robust and fast-paced home sellers’ market, surely someone in your trusted network is moving in or moving out and may have already done this research. Whether you like Google reviews or not, a great benchmark is 100+ positive testimonials. We all know, most people are more likely to vent negatively than rave positively, so 100+ positives is pretty solid. Also, check your Better Business Bureau and MyFloridaLegal.com for ratings or issues reported.
Bottom line, all moving companies in Melbourne, FL are not the same. For all the reasons above and more, you shouldn’t trust just anyone to handle your valuable belongings. A Mother’s Touch Movers in Melbourne, is the trusted residential and commercial moving company throughout all of Florida. With more than 30 years of moving experience, we are dedicated to your moving peace of mind. We are licensed, bonded, insured, state registered, and employ only the most qualified individuals so you can rest assured your belongings will remain safe and secure, and you will feel comfortable inviting them into your home.
Give us a call today for a free estimate.