Published on June 12, 2018

Keep Your New Home Safe from Carbon Monoxide

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

Your new home in Brevard County is everything you’ve dreamed of. Here at A Mother’s Touch Movers, we are so thankful that you chose us to be a part of your moving story. We know just how much work goes into a move whether it be across town to Melbourne, FL or across the country. This is why we offer our customers fully customized moving options catered to their specific needs. We know you need reliable, professional, and courteous service during a move and we are here to help in whatever way we can.

One thing we love to do here on our blog is to discuss ways that families can get the most out of their new homes. Regardless of the age and/or size of your new home there is one thing you can do right now to keep your loved ones safe: install a carbon monoxide monitor. This can be the difference between life and death for you or a family member so why not arm your family with the best defense possible, prevention?

Carbon Monoxide, CO, claims the lives of 400 people a year and sends 20,000 people a year to the hospital. This tasteless, odorless, colorless gas is deadly and especially so for more vulnerable populations. The elderly, those with chronic health issues, and infants are more likely to suffer the ill effects of CO poisoning but the National Safety Council is quick to point out that CO does not care who you are. It does not discriminate. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can happen to anyone. CO affects us in such a dire manner because it binds to hemoglobin, the portion of the blood that carries oxygen throughout the body, much easier than oxygen does. When CO is inhaled, it essentially squeezes out the available oxygen causing the body to be left without the oxygen necessary to assist the body. It causes neurological problems in the areas of balance, vision, and cognitive and memory issues. If left undetected, it can lead to a loss of consciousness and if not addressed in a timely manner, death. Post-treatment, the effects of CO can still be an issue too.

Now that you know a little bit more about CO, you need to be aware of possible sources.

CO is a result of a fuel source that is being burned. It can be given off by appliances that use coal or gas as a fuel. Gas-powered appliances that are not properly ventilated can cause a buildup of CO as well. Fireplaces can also be a source of CO. For a more exhaustive list, please visit the EPA website. Learn the possible sources and make sure you take preventative measure to ensure that your home stays safe. One of the best things you can do is install a CO monitor. These are readily available and inexpensive. Best of all, a monitor could save your life.

About Us

A Mother’s Touch Movers is Melbourne’s trusted source for all their moving needs. We are a family-owned and operated moving company in Melbourne, FL with more than 30 years of moving experience.

Follow us on

Recent Posts

Follow Us

Request Your
Free Estimate Today!

  • Full or partial packing and unpacking
  • Clean, efficient and fully-stocked moving trucks
  • Services available seven days a week
  • Licensed, bonded and insured movers
  • Competitively priced boxes and packing materials
  • Handle Valuables With Care
  • Flexible scheduling
  • Senior discounts available
  • Same day service available